Our café is open for take-out service only at the moment. Our galleries are closed. Shop purchases are available on Instagram @mimausefulshop
We will announce our reopening date as soon as we can, but when we do, we are Good to Go! We are happy to announce that we are reopening and operating to Government requirements and are approved by Visit Britain’s UK-wide industry stand Good to Go.
Everyone needs to feel safe and secure and so that you can enjoy your visit and we have made some changes and things may look a little different.
We look forward to welcoming visitors back to MIMA and have taken time to carefully make plans around offering an exceptional experience for visitors to enjoy our galleries, shop, café and garden spaces so that all feel safe and relaxed. If you wish to visit when the building is more quiet, 10.00 – 11.00 is a good time to come.
We are free to visit and you do not need to book ahead. When you arrive our team will be ready to welcome you and share our new guidelines. We’re operating one way systems and directional signage is in place throughout the building. You’ll need to wear a face covering when visiting us unless you’re exempt.
On show in our ground floor galleries is Otobong Nkanga, From Where I Stand. Otobong Nkanga prompts us to think about our relations to land and the extraction of the world’s natural resources. More info is here: mima.art/exhibition
The Middlesbrough Collection is on display in our second floor gallery spaces and the current display has been informed by research group Black Artists & Modernism.
More details are here mima.art/collection
Our digital programme made with communities, artists and our team is here mima.art
Take a look here: here
What to expect on arrival:
- Please wear a facemask. If you have a reason for being exempt from wearing a mask, please advise our team. Masks are available from our shop to purchase.
- Use hand sanitiser on entering the building.
- Follow one way routes around the building – directional signs are in place.
- If visiting our café and shop please use contactless payment.
Entering the Building
- By foot: head to the front entrance of MIMA and follow signs.
- From MIMA carpark: as you face the back of the MIMA building, travel to the right of the building, next to the pond, following signs around the building to the entrance door.
Inside the Building
- You will be greeted by one of our team and asked to watch a short video
- You will be asked to provide contact details as part of the required COVID-19 Track and Trace system. Details will be kept on record for a period of 21 days and we will only contact you if we are required to due to public health concerns.
- One way directional signage is in place and please keep to 2m distance apart from others outside of your family/bubble. Please follow the one way system throughout and give priority to those with access needs.
- We are monitoring the number of visitors to ensure there is space throughout our building for an enjoyable visit.
- Our teams have taken part in training and enhanced cleaning takes place.
Galleries and Shop
- Follow directions to galleries or to use the stairs or lift. Our team is available to assist.
- One way systems are in place in the galleries.
- Contactless payment only please.
- Please don’t touch shop items, one of our team will be happy to help.
- Screens are in place at the shop counter.
- For the café, turn right when you enter from the main entrance. Your order will be taken and brought to you. You can use the MIMA garden for take-away or from 22 September dine in the café.
- Screens are in place at the café counter.
- Contactless payment only please.
- To exit the café, leave through the Garden gate exit.
Some of our community activities at MIMA will resume in the first week of October. We will update the website and social media @mimauseful shortly.